I've just got through my first week in the university this year - my second year! It was a very very tiring but awesome week! After a very enjoyable but long summer vacation, I was aching - actually - to start studying again! Its really weird isn't it, but as they say, humans always are in search of knowledge! And so here I am, maybe a little wiser to the ways of the world...

To be outrageously honest, last year was a breeze through...except the programming of course...I'm studying electrical engineering and my uni being an internationally recognized one with students from all over the globe, meant to standardize our basics last year - so we did physics, maths and some basic circuits and laws - all of which I had already dealt with in my Junior college. So in effect, I was only adding some depth to what I already knew about - dealing with solving real world problems with a lot more calculations - but it somehow wasn't inspiring or exciting enough! This was not the engineering I expected to study!

And then suddenly this week, it struck me - all at once! I'm doing four "core" modules this semester - and suddenly, I realized - hey this isn't just physics or math anymore! It's application! Somehow, it excited me a lot - here was something totally different - like an experience of learning a language for the first time! Every single concept in the lecture was supplemented by actual examples - for example, the concept of feedback and thus control in robotics, temperature control, etc - the concept of signals in waving, seeing, sound waves, etc - the concept of applying mathematical models like probability to data communication systems and the mathematics used as "short-hand" notation for bit representation!

Interesting no doubt, but also a lot of hard work too I suppose! Since everything you're learning is suddenly new, you need to put in more effort to get a good grasp of all the concepts. And here I am, quite exhausted but still very inspired after the very first week of just lectures - tutorials and labs start only next week! I've taken another module - Technological Innovation - just for this purpose - to have a recess from all the engineering :-D

This module seems quite fun - though it is from 6-9 on Friday evenings (I know!!) It focusses on the importance of innovation in entrepreneurship! In my first class, we had a discussion about Google - Was it right for them to become entrepreneurs? Are they being innovative enough? Aren't they shifting focus away from their core capabilities? It was a very insightful and interesting discussion and I really enjoyed it!

When you're 19, talking to your loved ones and eating to your fill everyday, living on one of the best campuses in the world with access to excellent academic and co-curricular facilities, enjoying with your friends and making new ones - from over the globe - and learning what you want to from the best aiming for the stars all the while, what more can you expect out of life??

1 comment:

Archun said...

ohh! thanks a lot lau! where's your blog on this thought then?? :-D